Church History

Welcome to St. George’s on-the-Hill Anglican Church, Etobicoke!

Land was donated in 1844 by William Gamble to build a church on this site and it was completed in 1847. It has gone through a number of changes, additions and renovations since then but remains on the hill for all to see. The history of the initial 50 years from 1844 to 1894 is outlined in “Sketch of a Country Parish” written by Rev. H. O. Tremayne, M.A.

We are immensely grateful for the foresight and generosity of our initial parishioners who gave us land for a Cemetery, a tall white Spire that can be seen, and a Carillon that can be heard, each from afar!

From the start, the congregation has focused on ‘outreach’ at home and abroad, and much attention was devoted to India, Africa, and Canada’s North in our early years.  Our Youth Group, inspired by the guidance of James Noronha, our Youth Ministry leader, has served in Cuba and, more recently, in the Yukon.  Our parishioners are grateful to be able to support charities such as Out of the Cold, Sleeping Children around the World, Youth Without Shelter, the Jean Tweed Centre for abused women, local Food Banks, The Primate’s World Relief and Development Fund, and relief efforts in Ukraine. In addition, our Prayer Shawl Group, under the leadership of Natalie Quinton, produces knitted and crocheted items to provide warmth and comfort where needed.

St. George’s offers an internationally-acclaimed programme called “Godly Play” to our youngest members, led by The Reverend Canon Dr. Andrew Sheldon.  A well-established school, Kingsway College, was initiated by our clergy and parishioners in 1989, and is attached to the Church.   The clergy of the parish have traditionally served as Chaplain. 

In addition, St. George’s was a leader in the foundation of The Dorothy Ley Hospice, where we continue to give generous financial and volunteer support.   Opened in 2009, it was the first residential hospice in Etobicoke.

As of January 2024, Fr. Andrew Sheldon, formerly an Honourary Associate with our parish, has taken on the role of Priest-in-Charge, and our Parish Selection Committee is actively working to build an overview of the parish and make a recommendation to the Bishop regarding a new incumbent. 

To learn more about the Cemetery and some of the people buried there, go to our Cemetery History page.

LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT

We acknowledge that this church is on the traditional territories of many nations including the Wendat, the Anishinabeg, the Haudenosaunee, the Mississaugas of the Credit, and the Chippewa peoples.

First Nations, Inuit and Métis people continue to live on this land, caring for the land and being cared for by the land.  Our baptismal covenant also calls us to safeguard the integrity of creation, and to respect, sustain and renew the life of the Earth.

Let us strive to live in balance with the land and each other.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This