We welcome you to St. George’s on-the-Hill Anglican Church, Etobicoke!
Land was donated in 1844 by William Gamble to build a church on this site and it was completed in 1847. It has gone through a number of changes, additions and renovations since then but remains on the hill for all to see.
We are immensely grateful for the foresight and generosity of our initial parishioners who gave us land for a cemetery, a tall white spire that can be seen, and a carillon that can be heard, each from afar!
From the start, the congregation has focused on ‘outreach’ at home and abroad, and much attention was devoted to India, Africa, and Canada’s North in our early years. Currently, our thriving Youth Group, inspired by the guidance of their leader, James Noronha, has served in Cuba and, more recently, in the Yukon. Our parishioners are grateful to be able to support a Syrian refugee family and charities such as Out of the Cold, Sleeping Children around the World, Youth Without Shelter, the Jean Tweed Centre for abused Women, local Food Banks, The Primate’s World Relief and Development Fund, among others. In addition, our Prayer Shawl Group produces knitted and crocheted items to provide warmth and comfort where needed.
St. George’s offers an internationally acclaimed programme, “Godly Play” to our youngest members, led by The Reverend Canon Dr. Andrew Sheldon. A well-established school, Kingsway College School, was initiated by our clergy and parishioners in 1989, and is attached to the Church. We are fortunate that our Rector, The Reverend Michelle Childs-Ward, serves as Chaplain. In addition, St. George’s was a leader in the foundation of The Dorothy Ley Hospice, where we continue to give generous financial and volunteer support. Opened in 2009, it was the first residential hospice in Etobicoke.
We celebrated our 175th anniversary in 2019 and look forward to many more years of serving in and with the community. Thanks be to God!
We acknowledge that St. George’s on-the-Hill Anglican is situated upon traditional territories. These territories include the Wendat, Anishinabek Nation, the Haudenosaunee Confederacy, the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation, and the Metis Nation. The treaty that was signed for this particular parcel of land is collectively referred to as the Toronto Purchase. We also recognize the enduring presence of Indigenous peoples on this land.